Hawaii Medical Marijuana Doctors


Alternative Pain Remedies From compassionate physicians

Hawaii Medical Marijuana

Book Online Now!

One Doctor visit.

Doctors Locations:



Hawaii law requires all qualified patients to be registered with the Medical Marijuana Registry Program before they begin to use marijuana for medicinal purposes. The registration process begins when an appropriately licensed physician certifies that the patient has a health condition that can benefit from medical marijuana.  The patient is registered when the Department of Health (DOH) issues a 329 Registration Card.

A patient must be certified by a Hawaii-licensed physician with whom the patient has a “bona fide” physician-patient relationship.

What is a “bona fide” relationship?  In the DOH Administrative Rules, a “bona fide" physician-patient relationship” means a relationship in which the physician has ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care, and treatment of a qualifying patient’s debilitating medical condition with respect to the medical use of marijuana which means:

(1) The physician has completed a full assessment of the qualifying patient’s medical history and current medical condition, including conducting a review of the qualifying patient’s medical records related to the debilitating condition as medically appropriate and conducting an in— person physical examination;

(2) The physician provides follow up care and treatment as medically appropriate to the qualifying patient and assesses the qualifying patient’s condition during the course of the qualifying patient’s medical use of marijuana; 

(3) The physician maintains records of the qualifying patient’s treatment and condition in accordance with medically accepted standards.

Please note one of the Eligible Debilitating Medical Conditions are required to qualify for a medical cannabis recommendation in Hawaii:

As defined in section 121 of  HRS-329 , a qualifying debilitating medical condition includes:

- Cancer,

- Glaucoma,

- Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus,

- Acquired immune deficiency syndrome,

- Post-traumatic stress disorder (added effective July 1, 2015 as per Act 241), or

- "The treatment of these conditions” 

- “A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:

- Cachexia or wasting syndrome

- Severe pain

- Severe nausea

- Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy

- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis or Crohn’s disease.

If you suffer from PTSD, you must have a written diagnosis from a psychiatrist or psychologist prior to your appointment.  The attending physician cannot diagnose mental conditions.

You do not have to be a resident in Hawaii to receive your 329 card AND you must have a Hawaii address. The Department of Health will accept a valid driver’s license or state photo ID card issued by any U.S. state or a current passport.

The Hawaii Department of Health has published the following web link as information available to the public:

General Information:


Patients must obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from their primary care physician describing their qualifying diagnosis.